Monday, March 12, 2012

Stone Walls

I've been running into stone walls all week. Yep, around here, it's stone walls instead of those made of brick. This is how they look on our property. This could be a great story starter-how do you suppose the 'old timers' (probably young guys) moved those boulders and placed them in a line?
Locals think they hauled them up from the pasture with the oxen they yoked.
I've tried yoking my oxen and say "gee" and "haw" but nothing is moving left or right. I've sat with  printed pages and pencil in hand and tried writing the next two chapters on my mid grade. I know where it's going, where I'm taking my boy, but I don't know how to get him there. I'm hitting the rocks and he's not paying attention to me. You know what kid, I'm going to take those chapters out of your life and grow you up too quick if you don't smarten up!
     It's over 50 degrees here in Maine. Kind of hot for a March day. The girlfriends and I met up and walked a few miles. Our little 'ville is singing spring.
The maple sap is dripping but the forecast doesn't sound like it's going to be a real sugary season. The nights are cold but not cold enough.  

The wild things are out in full force - robins, squirrels, geese are back. It's early and glorious. The domesticated animals are out too. 'tis the season. I took this photo the other day, and today when we walked past, she had a boyfriend visiting.
Life is good even though my head hurts from all the banging(come out come out wherever you are, boy!)...
 I'll tell you a few things that are extremely good and I'm thankful for. 
     My latest picture book manuscript is on rewrite #7!  Only five hundred words to write, rewrite, tweak and consider the critiques from you, my online friends.  Yes, I am thankful for all of you. Thank you for what you "see" and "hear" in my stories. Okay, so I'm in love with the internet too!
      I love the  girls I walk with My friends. They help keep me fit physically and mentally. Good friends make good blessings-sort of like good fences (or stone walls) make good neighbors.
       Just finished a year of Zumba classes twice a week, (and have sneaked in a Sat or two too!) and I'm not the least bit tired of it. Our instructor, Korinn, mixes up the music and the dances, so when we think we're getting good at one or two...there she goes again, changing things!
    There's much much more...my family always goes on top, even though it's not written here.
    I guess you know I carry my camera in my pocket or purse...so I'll end with this sign I took in town on Saturday. Friends here have seen it a bunch of times-I laugh every time I do. Can't help myself. How about this for another story starter?!?!?! 

Have a great week!

      
        

12 comments:

  1. His story will be told, Mona! YOu just keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona, I'm working on a middle grade, too! I don't know if I have the voice for it, but I'm trying. Lovely pictures. Xoxo. Kristin Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do! You will! and I will get over this rock too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up. When you least expect it the rest of his story will come out. Just don't try so hard - I find when I let myself relax and so my morning pages - thing flow. Maybe you should go to the laundromat and get a tan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I'm not a giver upper, just a had banger I guess. I've never believed in writer's block so that's not my excuse...I'm just going to leave this kid stranded and see how he likes that! You're right, maybe while I do the laundry and tan my body, he'll want to play again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of stone walls where I live, too, but the stones may not be that big! Your pig is very cute :) And don't damage your head trying to coax that boy out... take a walk by yourself so your not distracted by talking, or fold your laundry, or wash the dishes and maybe he'll come sneaking in sideways... that's how mine generally operate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susanna,
    Sideways...that's it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I found your blog, cute chickadee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you hanging out my chirpy little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to walk, too, Mona. It keeps me sane. I haven't tried the Zumba, but I do meet a friend at the gym EARLY to start my day. Hang in there with the writing. I kind of feel like March has come in like a lion for real with so many commitments. I think I need to take a breath and or I won't even get to see it go out like a lamb....I'll be too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny, We knew from the beginning that we had connections!
    It's a dreary day here and that has sparked an idea for the story-tada!
    We can do it Penny-breathe in breathe out!!!!

    ReplyDelete